Thursday, April 3, 2008

transition as interface

Jason said:
I have been thinking a bit about visual morphing and how everything between a and b in the typical morphing process is just fluff (yes, I know I am a weirdo). Anyway, the word "transition" kept popping up in my head.

Transition can be a meaningful form of animation. It serves to communicate the crossing from one thing the next and almost always requires some form of motion. I think in your case you are not interested in motion as transition but motion as stand alone form of communication. However, you can't have motion (or animation) without transition and vice versa.

Sorry for the babble, what I am really getting at is perhaps you could frame your study as "transition in interface" and then nobody starts thinking about bugs bunny or text on wheels. Animation represents all kinds of things you don't care about, transition in interface seems way more appropriate.:)

-Jason

then he sent a link to this web site talking about transition as an interface element.


and I answered:
good points. I did realize after class on thursday that I didn't emphasize that my interest was movement in interface. I think I am correct to use the word movement rather than animation, regardless of what other people think about it because animation is the enabler for movement but it's the idea that the movement can contain information that I am interested in investigating.

the examples on that article page are really good ones. I haven't been thinking about transitions as simple as these and I think they are strong. thanks for the thoughts.



and don't let me forget that the eagle has landed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts, Elaine. Since you started talking about motion in class, I've been noticing both meaningful and "fluffy" uses of motion everywhere. The iPhone is a great object to study, of course, because the transitions from app to app reinforce a consistent mental model of where everything "lives," even though very little of it appears on the screen at any given moment.