Tuesday, March 24, 2009

latest ideas on my work

here is what I've been working on and thinking about for the next steps in the independent study work.

1.
I have started considering what the basic elements of motion are. I'm thinking of the basic elements of design and how they might relate.

I guess motion wouldn't be one of them, but:

contrast
rhythm
pattern
proximity
repetition

and these seem to have a place here, too:
balance
unity
hierarchy


then there is:

camera still, object moving
camera moving, object still
camera and object moving
camera and object still

to consider.



2.
the squares from the motion lab are suggesting some kind of motion thing to me. not sure what it is. maybe it's just that they feel like something that could work in an interface while all the other things seem chaotic. I have a very old list of those object motions that I haven't done anything with yet, like:
jump
bounce
fade
roll
wiggle
slide
bump
pour
float
twist
wave
wobble
fly
fall
stretch
bend
spin
push
touch
follow
etc.

I am going to continue to refine the motion lab, hopefully to the point where I can control it to create these kinds of motions.

3.
Scott suggested creating language for when many objects make the same motions all at once. I love this idea. don't know where it might lead but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

4.
I also will make some video studies of gravity, water, mechanical movements and maybe more work with the laser lights in addition to (Mike's suggestion) studies of people using real interfaces.

5.
I went to the aquarium last thursday and shot a lot of different kinds of fish and penguins swimming. if you have some time you can look at some of the video here:

aquarium video studies

the list at the top of the page is the second cut so scroll down to the second group for the better video. I'll soon reorganize the page but I wanted to get the video on line so I can look at it whenever I have a chance.

there is a lot to look at but the jellyfish are really amazing and I got several shots of a wave crashing on the green anemones. you have to wait till the end of the video. they tend to be about a minute long and the wave is in the last quarter.

No comments: